So I’m going to blatantly steal a fabulous idea from Awkwardly Alive and Pleasantly Peculiar’s recent post about making up the perfect list of rules for life. I enjoyed her list and decided to expand upon it with some rules of my own.
As a parent, I hope I do a good job of teaching these rules to my children. Or at least of remembering them myself!
1. At least once in your life, go to a beach in winter.
2. Be nice to someone who doesn’t deserve it.
3. Cry once a week, either tears of sorrow or of joy,
4. Eat dessert first once in a while.
5. Trust your instincts.
6. Have fun. Life is shorter than you think.
7. Find something to like in everyone.
8. Go to bed angry once in a while. It’s better than saying things you will regret.
9. Every so often, do something that scares you.
10. Laugh at a few inappropriate moments.
11. Find something beautiful in the mirror.
12. Listen to “Nightswimming” by REM. Alone.
13. Never waste a chance to say “I love you” or “I’m sorry.”
14. Know when to walk away, no matter how much it hurts.
15. Watch out for maple trees. Sometimes life drops one on your head to wake you up.
Well, that’s my list. I’d love to hear from some of you — what rules would you add?