So I’m going to blatantly steal a fabulous idea from Awkwardly Alive and Pleasantly Peculiar’s recent post about making up the perfect list of rules for life. I enjoyed her list and decided to expand upon it with some rules of my own.
As a parent, I hope I do a good job of teaching these rules to my children. Or at least of remembering them myself!
1. At least once in your life, go to a beach in winter.
2. Be nice to someone who doesn’t deserve it.
3. Cry once a week, either tears of sorrow or of joy,
4. Eat dessert first once in a while.
5. Trust your instincts.
6. Have fun. Life is shorter than you think.
7. Find something to like in everyone.
8. Go to bed angry once in a while. It’s better than saying things you will regret.
9. Every so often, do something that scares you.
10. Laugh at a few inappropriate moments.
11. Find something beautiful in the mirror.
12. Listen to “Nightswimming” by REM. Alone.
13. Never waste a chance to say “I love you” or “I’m sorry.”
14. Know when to walk away, no matter how much it hurts.